A quake measuring 4.7 on Richter scale took place in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) state of India around 4:28 AM today. There have been no reports of damage or loss of life from the area. The J&K earthquake hit 2 days after 2 quakes of moderate intensity jolted the region of 5.4 as well as 4.7 intensity respectively in the same region.
Tremors were felt by the people in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. The first earthquake hit on Dec 9 whereas the other earthquake hit J&K state on recently close to 4:15 AM.
Tremors were felt by the people of Jammu and Kashmir as an earthquake with 4.7 magnitude on the Richter scale took place in the Indian state. It happened in the J&K region close to 4:28 AM early morning today. There have not been any reports of loss of life or damage to property damage yet. The quake has come barely 2 days after 2 earthquakes of moderate magnitude of around 5.4 and 4.7, respectively, hit the same region. The first earthquake came on Dec 9, 2017 evening, whereas the other one which was also moderate hit Jammu and Kashmir state on Dec 9 close to 4:15 AM.
Increase in earthquake activity in north India
The occurrence of moderate earthquakes has increased in the past couple of days and has, in fact, witnessed a sharp rise. On Dec 6, an earthquake of magnitude 5.5 hit many parts of the north Indian region. People in many states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and NCR, Punjab, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh witnessed it. The earthquake occurred in many regions and people had to stay out of their houses for more than a couple of hours in the wintery conditions to take precautions. The quake had its epicentre 121 km off Dehradun, near Uttarakhand’s Rudraprayag. This entire Himalayan region is a highly volatile seismic zone.
Image: for representational purposes only
- Earth Day in Bollywood: Dia Mirza, Anushka Sharma, Juhi Chawla, Yuvraj - April 23, 2018
- Earth Day 2018: Let’s pledge to end plastic pollution and use - April 22, 2018
- Welcome to Meenangadi, India’s first carbon-neutral town: Go Green - April 21, 2018
- Mangalore Refinery commissions largest solar power project: India - April 20, 2018
- Use solar-powered data centers and cloud computing for sustainability - April 14, 2018
- Plastic ban not enough, implementation crucial: Dia Mirza, UN Ambassador - April 13, 2018
- Go Green: World’s first mobile solar ambulance launched in India - April 7, 2018
- Solar paint helps homes produce power: Green technology for 2018 - April 1, 2018
- Climate change trends behind 2016 heat waves of Asia, Alaska: Study - March 25, 2018
- Go Green: China is world’s top producer of solar power; edges out India, USA - March 22, 2018