A quake measuring 4.7 on Richter scale took place in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) state of India around 4:28 AM today. There have been no reports of damage or loss of life from the area. The J&K earthquake hit 2 days after 2 quakes of moderate intensity jolted the region of 5.4 as well as 4.7 intensity respectively in the same region.
Tremors were felt by the people in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. The first earthquake hit on Dec 9 whereas the other earthquake hit J&K state on recently close to 4:15 AM.
Tremors were felt by the people of Jammu and Kashmir as an earthquake with 4.7 magnitude on the Richter scale took place in the Indian state. It happened in the J&K region close to 4:28 AM early morning today. There have not been any reports of loss of life or damage to property damage yet. The quake has come barely 2 days after 2 earthquakes of moderate magnitude of around 5.4 and 4.7, respectively, hit the same region. The first earthquake came on Dec 9, 2017 evening, whereas the other one which was also moderate hit Jammu and Kashmir state on Dec 9 close to 4:15 AM.
Increase in earthquake activity in north India
The occurrence of moderate earthquakes has increased in the past couple of days and has, in fact, witnessed a sharp rise. On Dec 6, an earthquake of magnitude 5.5 hit many parts of the north Indian region. People in many states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and NCR, Punjab, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh witnessed it. The earthquake occurred in many regions and people had to stay out of their houses for more than a couple of hours in the wintery conditions to take precautions. The quake had its epicentre 121 km off Dehradun, near Uttarakhand’s Rudraprayag. This entire Himalayan region is a highly volatile seismic zone.
Image: for representational purposes only
- Royal Enfield CEO Siddhartha Lal to Greenubuntu: Serious On Emissions - January 5, 2019
- Make Environmental Studies a Part of School Curriculum, College Syllabus - October 26, 2018
- Hybrid Solar Energy and Wind Power Setups May Cut Capital Costs By 5% - September 13, 2018
- World Elephant Day 2018: Let’s Pledge to Save These Magnificent Animals - August 12, 2018
- Indian safeguard Duty On Imported Solar Panels Will Raise Tariffs - August 5, 2018
- Strengthen Forest Rights for Climate Change Action: Draft Forest Policy - June 26, 2018
- Use Banana Stems for Organic Farming: Innovations in Agriculture - June 14, 2018
- How Indore Became India’s Cleanest City: Sustainable Development - May 21, 2018
- Big boom predicted in floating solar power plants: Green Energy - April 30, 2018
- World’s 1st 100% solar power train launched with zero emissions: Australia - April 29, 2018