A quake measuring 4.7 on Richter scale took place in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) state of India around 4:28 AM today. There have been no reports of damage or loss of life from the area. The J&K earthquake hit 2 days after 2 quakes of moderate intensity jolted the region of 5.4 as well as 4.7 intensity respectively in the same region.
Tremors were felt by the people in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. The first earthquake hit on Dec 9 whereas the other earthquake hit J&K state on recently close to 4:15 AM.
Tremors were felt by the people of Jammu and Kashmir as an earthquake with 4.7 magnitude on the Richter scale took place in the Indian state. It happened in the J&K region close to 4:28 AM early morning today. There have not been any reports of loss of life or damage to property damage yet. The quake has come barely 2 days after 2 earthquakes of moderate magnitude of around 5.4 and 4.7, respectively, hit the same region. The first earthquake came on Dec 9, 2017 evening, whereas the other one which was also moderate hit Jammu and Kashmir state on Dec 9 close to 4:15 AM.
Increase in earthquake activity in north India
The occurrence of moderate earthquakes has increased in the past couple of days and has, in fact, witnessed a sharp rise. On Dec 6, an earthquake of magnitude 5.5 hit many parts of the north Indian region. People in many states such as Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi and NCR, Punjab, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh witnessed it. The earthquake occurred in many regions and people had to stay out of their houses for more than a couple of hours in the wintery conditions to take precautions. The quake had its epicentre 121 km off Dehradun, near Uttarakhand’s Rudraprayag. This entire Himalayan region is a highly volatile seismic zone.
Image: for representational purposes only
- How 3 Indian engineers created solar innovation for food preservation - January 19, 2018
- Gender equality, sustainability focus of Assam Women Entrepreneurs Conclave - January 18, 2018
- A first glimpse at the world’s most awaited electric car: Tesla Model 3 - January 17, 2018
- Climate change driving Australia heat wave: Sydney bakes at 47 deg C - January 15, 2018
- More than 52% new vehicles in Norway hybrid or electric cars! Go Green - January 15, 2018
- All electric Tesla ships to set sail in 2018: Green Energy - January 14, 2018
- Meet green innovator who left Tesla to make India’s fastest electric bike - January 13, 2018
- Indian innovator gifts father a driverless tractor: Green Agri Tech - January 12, 2018
- Woman social entrepreneur invents waste management tool: TrashCon - January 11, 2018
- Go Green: World’s first mobile solar ambulance launched in India - January 11, 2018