The national capital Delhi’s emergency plan GRAP, which was formulated in order to fight the “very poor” and “severe” air pollution levels, has been rolled out from October 15. Diesel generator sets have been banned in the national capital. The urgent step comes in the backdrop of the city already having encountered 9 days of ‘poor’ air quality in the first 2 weeks of this month. This is the 2nd year running of the Graded Response Action Plan or Grap, which was last implemented in the year 2017.
“Measures listed under the Graded Response Action Plan or Grap in order to fight “very poor” and “severe” category of air pollution will be rolled out. This would continue till March 2019,” says Sunita Narain, a member of the Supreme Court appointed panel on Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA). This is the body that implements GRAP.
“With the Graded Response Action Plan or GRAP being rolled out, there will be ban on diesel generator (DG) sets in Delhi. However, DG sets will be allowed to operate in the NCR towns because it would be impractical to ban them outside the national capital Delhi, where there is a problem of power supply,” says Narain.
Other emergency measures like ban on construction, ban on stone-crushers and hot-mix plants, enhancement of parking fees and implementing the odd even road traffic scheme, would be implemented in case air quality continues to deteriorate further and actually reaches the “severe” or “emergency” category. In the month of November 2017, schools had to be shut when the air quality turned “severe” for over a week. After the end of monsoons and the arrival of winters, Delhi’s air quality has begun dipping, although air quality index (AQI) has not yet touched the ‘very poor’ or the ‘severe’ category levels yet. The AQI was around 204 on Sunday.
- Mumbai’s Dabbawalas Save Food Worth Rs. 40 Lakh Every Day - December 5, 2018
- Tarte Cosmetics Blends Glamour n Green with Amazonian Clay, Maracuja - November 30, 2018
- Eileen Fisher Designs Reinforce Sustainable Fashion - November 28, 2018
- How 1 Hotels is Combining Hospitality and Sustainability - November 22, 2018
- Best Mask For Pollution after Diwali: Honeywell, 3M, Vogmask - November 12, 2018
- How to choose air purifier for indoor air pollution: Delhi Smog - November 9, 2018
- 10 things you can do to celebrate pollution free Diwali: Go Green - November 3, 2018
- Severe Air Pollution Hits Delhi: Five Areas of NCR Choke - October 30, 2018
- Delhi Air Quality Moves Towards “Severe” Category for 1st Time in 2018 - October 18, 2018
- Diesel Generators Banned Under GRAP to fight Delhi Air Pollution - October 17, 2018