World Environment Day 2018 is on June 5. No wonder, it is bound to witness a number of activities centered around campaigns as well as offline events that are related to environment conservation. Several volunteers and people come together to display their concern for the world and participate in the campaigns. In fact, the World Environment Day 2018 celebrations have begun in right earnest in Mumbai, which is witnessing thousands of participants who are coming together in order to clean the beaches in the Maximum City. This could well be the World’s Largest Beach Clean Up Campaign.
The green and clean initiative has been by Afroz Shah, who is an environmentalist from Mumbai. Though there have been several beach clean-up drives across the world, this one particular project has been, by far, the biggest as well as the most amazing. The project began after Afroz Shah as well as his neighbor Harbansh Mathurr, who passed away, decided to take matters into their own hands and do something relevant about the huge amount of waste which is collected from all over the city along its two and a half-km-long Versova beach for years.
Moreover, specialized machinery was added to the cleanliness drive and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) was called on about 3,25,000 officials in order to join clean-ups nationally. In addition, divers too have joined the green movement. This has also witnessed a body like the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) along with the UN Environment to come together and sign an agreement in order to ‘green’ cricket to inspire millions of people and move towards a cleaner environment for World Environment Day 2018.
This year’s World Environment Day 2018, which is organized every year, has the theme of drawing attention to a very pressing environmental concern and this time it is ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’ to reduce as much plastic use as possible and create a worldwide movement in order to clean up the planet. Our efforts will decide how successful World Environment Day 2018 turns out to be.
- Small steps to cut plastics: Dia Mirza, UN Goodwill Ambassador, India - June 5, 2018
- World Environment Day 2018: Celebrations Start in Mumbai, India - June 4, 2018
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s Art of Living should’ve stopped WCF: Medha Patkar - May 30, 2018
- IIT Scholar Invents Eco-Friendly Paper Battery Using Sewage Water - May 24, 2018
- Indore, Bhopal, Chandigarh Ranked Cleanest Cities of India - May 18, 2018
- 9 steps on how to grow your own organic potatoes at home - May 6, 2018
- Pollution neutralizing curtains can save homes and health from pollutants - April 24, 2018
- Modi, French President Macron launch UP’s largest solar power plant - March 14, 2018
- How to celebrate eco-friendly Holi in 5 simple ways: Save Environment - March 1, 2018
- United Nations urges break from toxic plastics on Valentine’s Day 2018 - February 16, 2018