World Environment Day 2018 is on June 5. No wonder, it is bound to witness a number of activities centered around campaigns as well as offline events that are related to environment conservation. Several volunteers and people come together to display their concern for the world and participate in the campaigns. In fact, the World Environment Day 2018 celebrations have begun in right earnest in Mumbai, which is witnessing thousands of participants who are coming together in order to clean the beaches in the Maximum City. This could well be the World’s Largest Beach Clean Up Campaign.
The green and clean initiative has been by Afroz Shah, who is an environmentalist from Mumbai. Though there have been several beach clean-up drives across the world, this one particular project has been, by far, the biggest as well as the most amazing. The project began after Afroz Shah as well as his neighbor Harbansh Mathurr, who passed away, decided to take matters into their own hands and do something relevant about the huge amount of waste which is collected from all over the city along its two and a half-km-long Versova beach for years.
Moreover, specialized machinery was added to the cleanliness drive and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) was called on about 3,25,000 officials in order to join clean-ups nationally. In addition, divers too have joined the green movement. This has also witnessed a body like the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) along with the UN Environment to come together and sign an agreement in order to ‘green’ cricket to inspire millions of people and move towards a cleaner environment for World Environment Day 2018.
This year’s World Environment Day 2018, which is organized every year, has the theme of drawing attention to a very pressing environmental concern and this time it is ‘Beat Plastic Pollution’ to reduce as much plastic use as possible and create a worldwide movement in order to clean up the planet. Our efforts will decide how successful World Environment Day 2018 turns out to be.
- Mumbai’s Dabbawalas Save Food Worth Rs. 40 Lakh Every Day - December 5, 2018
- Tarte Cosmetics Blends Glamour n Green with Amazonian Clay, Maracuja - November 30, 2018
- Eileen Fisher Designs Reinforce Sustainable Fashion - November 28, 2018
- How 1 Hotels is Combining Hospitality and Sustainability - November 22, 2018
- Best Mask For Pollution after Diwali: Honeywell, 3M, Vogmask - November 12, 2018
- How to choose air purifier for indoor air pollution: Delhi Smog - November 9, 2018
- 10 things you can do to celebrate pollution free Diwali: Go Green - November 3, 2018
- Severe Air Pollution Hits Delhi: Five Areas of NCR Choke - October 30, 2018
- Delhi Air Quality Moves Towards “Severe” Category for 1st Time in 2018 - October 18, 2018
- Diesel Generators Banned Under GRAP to fight Delhi Air Pollution - October 17, 2018