There is no practice of segregation of waste as “Bio-degradable” and “Non biodegradable” except few households or waste collection system at Silchar Mini City for Solid Waste Management . In the estimation it was noticed that percentage of Biodegradable waste of the Silchar Mini city around 97% and Non biodegradable waste is around 3% of total waste generated.
Primary Collection System: It has been observed that there is no primary collection system of Solid Waste Management at Silchar Mini City. There are no proper storage bins or centers. Waste is out on the streets. Drains flow in open spaces. Some storage bins placed in different part of Silchar Mini city but, they are not sufficient and unscientific. There is a total lack of proper collection mechanism for waste from small roads as well as lanes. It is also observed that wastes are scattered here and there on the streets and markets areas. It is very common to find large heaps of garbage in unorganized manner on the streets and market area which are creating flies, bad smells, mud and finally may create serious environmental and health problems as waste contains various toxic substances.
Transportation system: Transportation system for municipal Solid Waste Management is generally done through uncovered trucks, tractors, trailers which are operated by Silchar Municipality there in total 8 numbers of trucks, tractors and tipper presently working which shown. The process of collection of waste and Solid Waste Management is generally done twice in a week. It has also been observed that, the loading and unloading of wastes from trucks are done manually i.e. by employs of SMB which is around 50 to 55 numbers of person involved in the process which leads by six supervisors and one each deputy Municipal Inspector and Inspector respectively shown in table (4). It is also noticed that around 40% of total wastes are collected and transported for final disposal from the street and market area.
Street sweeping: It is also observed that Street sweeping is not carried out regularly except in some main roads of the Silchar Mini City as there are around 30 numbers of sweepers associated with SMB for sweeping and other work but, this number is insufficient for vast area of Silchar Mini City for Solid Waste Management.
Solid Waste Management: Municipal Dumping site of SMB is generally known as Kuarpar which is the only dumping site for Silchar Mini City and is located at distance around 2.0 km away from the Municipal boundary of Silchar City. This area lies on main road called as SilcharHailakandi road which is connecting road link of some very important institutions as Silchar Medical College, Silchar Polytechnique, NIT Silchar, Assam Central University and Numbers of nursing homes etc. The dumping ground is situated around 400-500 meter from the main road i.e. Silchar-Hailakandi road. During the present study it is observed that the dumping ground is Uncontrolled, unscientific and non-segregated for Solid Waste Management.
- Guwahati Cleanliness Drive on World Environment Day - July 2, 2019
- Municipal Solid Waste Management and Collection in Assam: A Case Study - February 23, 2019
- Study on Types of Municipal Solid Waste in India by Voice of Environment - February 11, 2019
- Municipal Solid Waste Management Is a Big Issue in Assam - February 8, 2019
- Silchar in Assam Faces Major Municipal Solid Waste Management Issues - February 2, 2019
- What is Environmental Impact Assessment? Understanding the Definitions - October 8, 2018
- World Environment Day 2018: VoE Program On Beat Plastic Pollution - June 13, 2018
- Earth Day Celebrations in India highlight the need to stop plastic use - April 26, 2018
- Waste disposal continues in open areas, rivers in Upper Assam: Study - April 19, 2018