Welcome to Meenangadi, India’s first carbon-neutral town: Go Green
Meenangadi is a small town in the Indian state of Kerala. It has accomplished and is doing what the entire world has not been able to. The small town is well on its way towards a green future. Its march is for a noble cause: the aim to achieve carbon neutrality.
The village has achieved the milestone and is an example to the whole world how people in various parts of the globe are fighting against climate change and global warming. This town in the Wayanad district (Kerala) has been witness to a high number of environmental initiatives like plant population census, soil audit, energy audit, organic farming, and awareness campaign against the use of plastic bags. It involves several strategic as well as innovative steps in order to go green.
The other steps include the planting of saplings in about 38 acres of land; encouraging the use of compost, distribution of 300,000 saplings to different households, the digging of around 456 ponds, the use of electric crematorium to prevent the burning of wood for cremation, and replacement of plastic bags by naturally made bags. They have also distributed free bicycles to several students.
Meenangadi achieves carbon neutrality
Carbon neutrality basically means zero or no carbon footprint. It entails reducing emissions to a bare level so that it could lead to reverse global warming and climate change. This includes minimizing the emissions of greenhouse gases (GHG) such as carbon dioxide, methane (CH4), nitrousoxide, hydrofluorocarbons (HFC), perfluorocarbons (PFC), and sulphur hexafluoride (SF6). Carbon neutrality also means achieving 0 carbon emissions through the control of carbon dioxide released due to human activity as well as carbon sequestration.
All the steps are to promote the conservation of nature and environment as well as offset the effects of climate change and global warming. The project was initiated in June 2016 as part of the World Environment Day. It also aims to help guide and formulate eco-friendly policies and ensure the adoption of green energy.
Meenangadi shows the way towards eco-friendly and sustainable living
Meenangadi is now the first carbon neutral town of India. The efforts of the people of the town have been receiving global attention and recognition. Let us all hope this new year that more cities, towns, and villages of India as well as those across the world are able to find inspiration in the green initiatives of the town of Meenangadi. They should also aspire to become carbon neutral through the use of clean, green, as well as renewable sources of energy.
- 4 Steps For Water Conservation You Can Take This World Water Day - March 30, 2019
- Avan Motors Soon Launching New Series Of Digital Electric Scooters - March 18, 2019
- Trend E Electric Scooter from Avan Motors Officially Unveiled - March 13, 2019
- 5 green cars in India with low emissions to combat Air Pollution - March 11, 2019
- Electric Scooter Accidents to be Studied in USA for the First Time - March 10, 2019
- Women in India earn 20% less than men: Gender disparity - March 8, 2019
- Ather 450 Review: Cool Looks, Well Designed, Powerful Electric Scooter - March 7, 2019
- Mahindra Glyd, Premium Tech-based E-mobility Service, Starts in Mumbai - March 3, 2019
- Avan Xero Plus Electric Scooter Launched for Price Rs. 47,000 - February 26, 2019
- Bajaj Auto Urbanite May Set Benchmarks for Electric Scooters in India - February 21, 2019