The World Sparrow Day is a day particularly marked to create awareness about the house sparrow as well as other common birds in the urban environment. The day is also useful as it brings to focus the worldwide threats to their population. It is observed on 20 March. This is a global initiative by the Nature Forever Society in India. This was started in collaboration with the Eco Sys Action Foundation of France as well as several other national and international organizations throughout the globe.
Mohammed Dilawar started The Nature Forever Society. He is an Indian conservationist who started his pioneering work through helping the common house sparrow in Nashik, Maharashtra, India. He has been recognized as one of the “Heroes of Environment” for 2008 by the Time magazine for his yeoman efforts. In fact, the idea of celebrating the World Sparrow Day surfaced during a discussion at the office of the Nature Forever Society.
The sparrow is a common sight across the country and the world. Particularly the common house sparrow is the most ubiquitous bird on the planet earth. In fact, it is one of the earliest companions of humans. It has, over a period of time, evolved with us. Fortunately, they are still found in abundance in many parts of the world.
However, the house sparrow which was once the most common bird across the world, has seen dwindling populations in the last few years. This bird has declined in its natural range. This is true for both the urban as well as rural habitats. This decline of the house sparrow is quite an indicator of the degradation of the environment that the entire world is facing. This also serves as a warning bell which can alert people about the detrimental effects on our health as well as our well-being.
Lets think about the cute creatures around us this World Sparrow Day.
- 100% Solar Powered Village in India Sets Example for Green Energy Use - April 15, 2019
- World Sparrow Day 2019: Why is It Necessary to Celebrate it? - March 20, 2019
- Gurgaon, 6 More Indian Cities, Among World’s Most Polluted: Study - March 6, 2019
- Exploring Mangalore in India: A Small Coastal Region Called Ullal - February 10, 2019
- Millions from ADB, still Coastal Erosion Damages Ecology of Mangalore - January 31, 2019
- Sea Erosion Worsens After Govt Dumped Granite Rocks Along Coastline - January 23, 2019
- Coastal Hazards Threaten Community Security in Coastal Belts of India - January 10, 2019