The planet is in danger: climate change, pollution, etc. are bringing it to the brink. However, even if just a mere 10 percent of the population turned green in its lifestyle, it could mean a lot and could actually be a revolution for mother Earth. They could make a huge difference on our health and wellbeing as well. These are some of the Green New Year Resolutions which can go a long way in reversing the damage already done to the environment. We would all end up having a healthy, natural and sustainable existence in 2019.
1. Avoid plastic bags and Use your own shopping bags: Shop using reusable bags. This is a simple way to cut pollution and avoid harmful ocean contamination which is killing thousands of sea mammals. This will aid you in reducing consumption, cutting deforestation, as well as reducing dependence on fossil fuels. Plastic bags, over 4 billion bags of them, clog drains and pollute forests, rivers, beaches, lakes, and oceans. Plastic bags are also known to kill over a million birds and hundreds of thousands of sea turtles, whales, seals, and other marine mammals every year. Plastic bags, made of petroleum, need 12 million barrels of oil to be produced every year.
2. Cook sustainably: This is a Green New Year Resolution can be a little tricky but it will help you in all forms. From the farm to the factory to the store to the table, packaged fast food drip in oil and fat. Processed food contains little nutrition and has to be sweetened and preserved. Make this a part of your Green New Year Resolutions.
3. Eat as much organic food as possible: Your food is going to be more nutritious, although organic food costs more. This is money spent well as you don’t need to worry about toxic pesticides or fertilizers. Also, you could be sure that your food protected and enhanced the ecosystem. If the organic food is locally grown, then you end up supporting the local economy.
4. Don’t go for fast fashion: The fashion industry is one of the most polluting industries in the world, after oil and natural gas. Millions of acres are used to grow cotton. Heavy chemicals like pesticides and fertilizers are used for increased yield and check pests and soil fertility. These cause problems at almost every major level of the ecosystem.
5. Dry your laundry ouside: According to the Project Laundry List, cloth dryers utilize a huge 15-20 percent of energy in the US homes. In 2007, dryers released 54.72 mn metric tons of carbon dioxide. Use a clothesline or drying racks. These are some Green New Year Resolutions to help you keep the planet safe.
- European Commission Brussels’ Conference Discusses Circular Economy - March 19, 2019
- 5 Best Green New Year Resolutions for Happy 2019 - January 2, 2019
- Brain Youth Group Spurs Mangrove rehabilitation: Mombasa County, Kenya - September 24, 2018
- Efficient and Accessible Education Must for Sustainable Development - September 8, 2018