Stepping into 1 Hotels is a novel experience. There are plants all around: on the walls; hanging from the ceilings; in the lobby. They are all putting out oxygen. The “green” is part of the aesthetics, both literally as well as figuratively. The botanical installations have been designed by Wynwood Arts District’s Plant the Future. This is the passion of former Starwood CEO Barry Sternlicht. 1 Hotels is a socially responsible chain of hotels which are comforting and sustainable both. This shows that the importance of environmental sustainability is being recognized in the hospitality industry.
1 Hotels believes in the philosophy that human beings live in one world and that all must coexist. Currently, the hotels are in New York and Miami, but this eco-friendly line is trying to expand globally. 1 Hotels is creating spaces which are inspired by nature. The idea is to maintain as low a carbon footprint as possible. So, no matter whether it is the design of the hotels, the interiors, lighting, or the food in the restaurants, they are all guided by the principle of sustainability and a care for the environment. All the features and comforts are aimed at enhancing the experience of customers, ensuring that their stay is inspiring and relaxing.
“I wanted to capture the beauty of nature in a hotel. It is 1 world. It is more than a hotel – it is a philosophy and a platform for change,” says Barry Sternlicht, CEO & Chairman, 1 Hotels.
Sustainability is at the heart of the mission of 1 Hotels. The hotels—the second opened on Sixth Avenue in Manhattan last year—has already drawn rave reviews. 1 Hotel South Beach has made it to several lists as one of the best new hotels. The eco-friendly business has taken a step further in the direction by creating a “Transparency Dashboard,” which can be accessed on the Web, and can be used to assess the effectiveness of the sustainability programs. It shows water and energy consumption, among other things. This is backed by the survey of guests in 1 Hotels. Various stats are presented in an interesting and interactive way such as how much water a guest consumes in a day or stay. All very useful information and which can guide our own responses.
- 6 Things I Do to Keep Environment Sustainable: Farhat Hasan, Chairperson, International School - July 3, 2021
- Let’s Make Banana Leaves a Part of Our Lifestyle - May 29, 2021
- Use Banana Stems for Organic Farming: Innovations in Agriculture - May 7, 2021
- Interview: We Must Empower Women for Sustainability, Says Entrepreneur Ajat Shatru - May 5, 2021
- How to Foster Love for the Environment in Kids - May 1, 2021
- 10 things you can do to celebrate pollution free Diwali: Go Green - November 15, 2020
- Top 10 Easy Ways to Make you Environment Friendly - August 17, 2020
- World Nature Conservation Day 2020: History and Importance - July 29, 2020
- How Kyra’s Natural Detergents are Keeping the Earth Clean - July 27, 2020
- Earth Day: A Look at Its History and Founding Days - April 22, 2020